Sunday 3 April 2011

Get to the Church on time!

I have only ever once rushed to church and it wasn't a wedding. Today however I was up on a Sunday morning to get to Cathedral in Murcia.

Years ago I thought it would be good to go to Sunday mass my parents let me choose. I ran all the way there only to find out that it had started and they wouldn't let me in.

Today however we were going up the bell tower, to look down on the city. I was very excited and was nearly late due to miss reading directions. But enthusiasm takes over and well, as the old saying goes 'less haste..'


The tower like most was started in one century and complete many later, following the economic fortunes and fashions from the15th to the17th century.

Some great surprises awaited me, the gubbins from the clock were still in place and were only switched over to an electrical device post 1940


domed ceiling the key to the sound
The room that holds the clock was also designed with amazing acoustics; with your face in one corner of the room you can whisper and your voice travels up and over your head to the opposite corner and the person standing there can hear you perfectly.

The surprises didn't stop there on the balcony surrounding the twenty plus bells is a special platform that the archbishop used to pray for rain, a very important element in what is known as Spain's allotment - Murcia.

1903
My curiosity for religion is very little but the mechanics of how something works is always fascinating. The trip up the tower was a treat, there is also very old graffiti rather like you find in Luxor from a time when these place were accessible without permission. 
big key - big key ring

1 comment:

  1. Me alegroooooo de que te haya gustado, estoy orgullosa de ese museo y de la torre de mi catedral.

    ReplyDelete